Roses are America’s favorite flower and a flower loved by all gardeners around the world. Some grow heirloom roses while others fell in love with the newer hybrids. Some grow roses for looks, others for scent and the majority for both. Roses are indeed a thing of beauty and their cultivation an expression of skillful art. These plants add value to any garden, charming everybody with their beauty, color and fragrance. But just like all seasoned roses’ growers know, these plants need particular care, especially in the summer. Our lawn care Stratford, CT specialists and their landscaping Shelton, CT colleagues want to share a few tips and tricks with you on summer roses’ maintenance, with an emphasis on organic fertilization.
The Fundamentals of Roses’ Summer Maintenance
In order to thrive, all roses need some basic care needs to be fulfilled. They don’t depend on the roses’ variety, but on your property’s features and your choices:
- Sunlight – all roses need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight in order to thrive. They should not be planted in shadowy areas, as they can be the victims of slugs, snails, shadow-loving bugs and weeds.
- Water: roses need plenty of water in order to thrive and they need even more irrigation during summer. Water your roses very early in the morning and make sure they get at least 2.5 gallons of water every week. If the heat is extreme, check your roses’ watering needs as follows: if you find the top 2 inches of the soil dry, water the roses. You can also install a slow drip irrigation system with the help of your lawn care Stratford, CT specialists to make sure the plants get the exact amount of water they need when they need it.
- Soil: your soil should be properly nourished if you want gorgeous thriving roses. The soil’s pH level should be between 5.5 and 7. Organic fertilization during summer ensures that your roses grow healthily and are protected from pests and weeds.
Organic Roses Fertilization
Many gardeners prefer organic fertilization to the synthetic one. When it comes to roses, fertilization is mandatory and organic products are the simplest and best means to nourish the plants, protecting them from heat, weeds, pests and disease.
We have talked about organic fertilizers before, but today we will take a closer look at some tested and sworn-by organic products usually used by seasoned roses’ cultivators:
- Chopped banana peels – they are rich in potassium
- Coffee grounds – used in a mix of water or spread dry at the plants’ base, coffee grounds work best with those rose varieties loving a slightly more acidic soil.
- Epsom Salt – it helps roses burst into more vivid, bright colors and gain even more powerful scents.
- Fish tank water – use regularly changed fish tank water (not stale or moldy water!) to hydrate your roses with. It is full of nitrogen and trace elements that feed your roses properly.
Let your lawn care Milford, CT specialists give you a hand with summer roses’ maintenance and have your property turned into a lush heaven of color and scent all summer long!